Monday, March 28, 2011

Rose Colored, Half-Full Glasses.

Courtesy of Google Images

When my friends are hurting or going through a challenge in life, I just want to stop what I am doing and help them through it.  I guess you would call me a "fixer."  I know I cannot mend everything but I love to try.  I love to listen when someone needs to vent and often just sit in silence so they don't have to be alone.

A friend of mine is going through something tough and scary and I just want to wrap my arms around her and make it all go away. 

I also know that tragedy, sadness or just difficult times is as much a part of life as the good stuff.  If you are reading this right now, I am on your side. 

Wish this post was philosophically moving or even somewhat amusing but alas, it is just some ramblings of how my heart is feeling right now. 

Do you think life would be better if we all stepped outside ourselves and tried harder? Would the world notice a shift in the "good vs. evil" fight or is it too late? If enough people "Paid it Forward" would we eventually get out of emotional debt that plagues us?  I have been called a "Pollyanna" many times in my life but I assure you I am anything but naive.  I am a realist that has a big serving of optimism with breakfast each day. Sure, I get let down more times that not but at least I still believe in humanity. Hope gets me a lot farther than one would think. 

I may not be as cute as Haley Joel Osmet but I do hope that anyone reading this will make a special effort. How hard is it to smile at the grocery store clerk, give your "bonus card" to the single mom behind you that is struggling just to get out of the store in one piece, offer to take the cart back for the elderly person?  Are we so self-obsessed and jaded by reality television that we forgot what "Love Thy Neighbor" even means? I hope not. Even if the answer is something dismal and depressing, I think I look better with "rose colored glasses", they go well with my coloring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment