Thursday, March 3, 2011

Oleta Adams here's your new verse

Image courtesy of Wilderness Safaris

You know that song "Get Here" by Oleta Adams? I was popular in the 1990s and became a theme song for many soldiers during the Gulf War. 



This song used to make me laugh, like hysterically laugh. I don't know why. I guess some of the lyrics seem just so absurd.  "You can reach me in a big balloon.." Which incidentally was the inspiration for the song.  The song writer, Brenda Russell, saw a hot air balloon from her Penthouse in Stockholm and thought about all the ways you can travel to get to someone, but I digress.  One of my best friends and I used to make up lyrics to this song, really silly ones.  "You can reach my by taxi cab, but be careful not to step on a crab..."  There were others but I cannot remember them at this moment.  Today, as I walked in the door from taking B to school, the phone rings.  It is my best friend, we will call her "Aurelay." She informs me that E has posted the following on FB:  "Hey, if anyone on FB has MA's phone number, can you call her and let her know that I ditched the wireless here and am in the MWR computer lab waiting to chat with her?"

So, I promptly log on and am able to chat with Hubs for 5 minutes.  I am impressed with both Hubs creativity in contacting me and the speedy success of said contact.  This inspired me to write new lyrics to show our progress in communication technology. After all, this isn't your 1991 war....

 You can reach me by Facebook, post a new status for your friends too look,
 "Tell my wife to get online, because I do not have much time." 
You can send it in an email, tweet it out, girl, just don't fail.
Call her up on your cell phone, before I start to wail.

You could reach her on Myspace, but she prefers the book of Face
You comment on her blog, put on your sneakers and go for a jog
Tell her I am on Yahoo, time for some cyber chat
Skype is down here but we can work around that...

Not my best work but funny just the same.  As we were chatting, little Ms. Adams' voice floods my ears and I start laughing again, until...
I actually search for it on Youtube.  Yeah, when your husband is deployed and 1000s of miles away, it isn't as funny. 

You can reach me by railway, you can reach me by trailway
You can reach me on an airplane, you can reach me with your mind
You can reach me by caravan, cross the desert like an Arab manI don't care how you get here, just - get here if you can

You can reach me by sail boat, climb a tree and swing rope to rope
Take a sled and slide down the slope, into these arms of mine
You can jump on a speedy colt, cross the border in a blaze of hope
I don't care how you get here, just - get here if you can

There are hills and mountains between us
Always something to get over
If I had my way, surely you would be closer
I need you closer
You can windsurf into my life, take me up on a carpet ride
You can make it in a big balloon, but you better make it soon
You can reach me by caravan, cross the desert like an Arab man
I don't care how you get here, just - get here if you can

I don't care how you get here, just -- get here if - you can. 

* Want to make me laugh? Leave your best lyrics to this song in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment