Monday, March 7, 2011

I smell coffee

Hubs is the coffee maker in the family.  I have tried to match his coffee brilliance but no matter what I do, it just doesn't taste the same.  This is a small joke in our family because in my younger days I managed a coffee house (think Starbucks but with a HUGE bookstore attached ;) Now, I can tamp down espresso and make you the "best soy latte that you ever had" but at home, our simple coffee pot owns me.

So when I was arroused from slumber by the familiar blend of arabica wafting through the air, I knew it wasn't a dream. HUBS WAS HOME.

What? I thought he was gone til August/September? Yes, that was definitely the plan. That was the terms of the mission he was tasked to complete. This wasn't some bizzarre secret lie I had to make up in order to blog about his time away (although there will be times when I am fed misinformation but don't know it as OPSEC requires) or there might be times when I allude to but do not tell you something.  Remember this post.  Hubs contacted me with some weird requests but couldn't really tell me anything. For days these strange communications continued.  I started to think he might come home for a few days.  I was really worried about how the Boy Wonder would handle brief return and then I felt anger. It took him a week to get here. I had no real idea of when he would actually make it until yesterday.  
Guess who is changing a diaper right now? Hubs! Guess who is drinking coffee in bed and blogging? Me:)

He will be here long enough to in process (that takes a few days), get ready for the mission, then out process.  He will be gone until the end of the year for this mission.  There won't be any "surprise" I'm home this next time.  You learn to not make plans if your Hubs is in the service.  They own us and our time. You cannot plan on having a baby to fit some schedule because that schedule changes.  We sacrifice for the betterment of our Nation and other nations.  I am proud of my husband.  I struggle with the pain these separations cause our children but this just means I have to be a better mother. 

For now, he is home. I know where he is going and it isn't going to be pretty.  For most of you, the news is just an informative look at what is going on in the world but for me it offers clues to my Hubs safety. For most of you Gadhafi's ramblings just make for a great SNL skit, but I no longer find it amusing.

Time to enjoy this small precious gift of time we have been given. I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Enjoy the days you have together! And when he leaves, get a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond and go buy yourself a Keurig! You deserve it, and I'm sorry, but it's so depressing dumping the majority of a pot of coffee down the drain. Coffee for one and it's impossible to screw up :-)

    ReplyDelete