Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sidewalk Chalk



I have been considering writing a post for quite some time now but keep stopping myself. Why? Well, honestly, perhaps a bit of ego. I go through periods of time when I read random blogs. These are people I do not know in real life but have followed on and off for years for various reasons.  Most of them have amazing stories of love and loss or great adventure.  I stopped myself from writing because I felt as if my story wasn't yet interesting enough to put into cyberspace.  Today, in a funk, I found myself scrolling through some of my favorite blogs.   Most of these are centered around very sad situations. It isn't as if I am fascinated by morbidity, it is quite the opposite. There are many things that draw me to these people's lives. First, many of them blogged before their life changing event. The mid 2000s sparked a new way to chronicle every day life: births of children, their upcoming wedding, holidays, and recipes.  What is fascinating to me is how normal their lives appeared and how clueless most of them were, as we all would be, before tragedy struck.  No, this alone does not give me any satisfaction.  After following their grief posts, you learn so much about the human condition. It is endearing to me to see these people pull out of grief and find happiness again.

So,  I was reading through some of the blogs when it occurred to me. They have a story because they all had a beginning. Back when their posts were about potty training or problems with their teen at school, it all was a beginning. It gave their later experiences context.  I am not blogging in anticipation of tragedy but I do feel that there is healing in writing. We have had a tumultuous couple years and now we are once again separated due to a deployment.

I won't be posting specific information about his deployment but mainly how the three of us left behind are coping.  Many days, I feel like it is a struggle just to go through the normal motions of daily activity. Sometimes, this alarms me. Am I depressed? Is this normal? Do other mothers feel this way ever?  I convinced myself a while back that I was just not doing this right and that all the other mothers I ran into had some secret that I didn't know.  They were always smiling, their kids perfectly coiffed, and I was still in my yoga pants (not used for yoga, I assure you).  Then it dawned on me, all mothers feel this way sometime. The difference? We have been trained, especially in the South, not to talk about it.  We don't admit when we feel less than or when little Johnny is driving us crazy. We were taught at a young age to be presentable in public (a lesson I started abandoning when my Crohn's came back with a vengeance and he was deployed the last time) and keep our skeletons in the closet with our spare hand bags.  Seriously, I decided to break this Southern Mama's code and just be honest.

There are days I dread going to pick up the kids from carpool because I haven't had a chance to put on makeup and I look like death. There are days when I have no idea what is for dinner and figure it out 5 minutes before I serve it.  There are days when watching TV on the couch is more appealing than cleaning or running errands while they are at school.  There are days when I want to throw something at the screen and make Jake or Mickey shut up and solve the problem already!!! There are days when I wonder why is this so hard? 

People have said to me over the past few months "Oh, you are Wonder Woman" or "Super Mom."  I have heard this many times in the last year. So much that it started to bother me. I recently had a relaxing debriefing, cause seriously I was doing all the talking and she was helping me process, in one of my dear friend's childhood bedroom.  I told her that I was disturbed by this label because I felt so far from a Super Mom. It made me wonder what type of false self was I advertising to the world via Facebook or other online outlets.  "How in the world do they think that when there are days I don't get dressed?"  She was wonderful and said that the fact that I parent two small boys and have been doing this on my own for more than a year already due to my husband's deployments in addition to having a debilitating disease AND my own business was enough, but that my children seem well adjusted, fed, and clean.  Hmm. I thought about this and it started to make sense.

I was suffering from Mommy Guilt. If you aren't a mother, you haven't experienced it. The closest thing I can compare it to is the neighbor lust some people experience called "Keeping up with the Joneses'"  Yeah, you read these mommy blogs of people who are absolutely in love with their angelic perfect children. They are always going on Nature walks to gather materials for the arts and crafts they are going to do to complete their section on nature. They are home schooled or either do extra school together after school. They love to cook together, they sew, their children look like they came out of a magazine. Then it dawns on me-they look that way because their mothers retouch the photos to give them the perfection we all see. They also present themselves as if we are watching them through a snow globe. Their world is filtered and idyllic. Forget the time Sally was helping in the kitchen and splattered batter all over the ceiling while William turned the stove on and melted the Tupperware all over the burner. That. Didn't. Happen. Because, they don't want you to think it happened.

Yes, those blogs can serve to inspire us to be better or give us great ideas for art projects to try with our children but most of the time they do the opposite to me. They make me feel like I am harming my children because we haven't recorded our first family album and we don't have 7 trips to Disney under our belt.

My friend made me think that sometimes getting them fed, bathed, read to, and put to bed IS enough. They have stability. It might not be a glamorous life. We might not do super duper exciting things but they are happy. As both came traipsing in the house covered head to toe in the sidewalk chalk, toy trucks and strewn through out the yard, I thought to myself,

"Today, was a good day."

_________________________________________________________________
Things I learned:

1. Planning out a week's worth of meals and attempting to stick to a schedule DOES cut down on chaos at meal times.

2. Bento Box lunches make my children happy.

3. "I want BEER" means "I want my BEAR" in 2 year old speech.

4. A shower does make you feel like a brand new person.

5. Our 5 year old thinks 100% in absolutes. He makes me laugh, daily.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me cry and laugh all at the same time. I hate that I have to be away from you and the boys. I especially hate that you have to go through the next 9 months without me. We didn't know over a year ago when I left for the career course that we would spend so much time apart over the course of the next 2 years. I vow that after we move to Ft. Stewart, I will do everything in my power to ensure we stay together as a family throughout our stay there. It's not fair to you and not fair to the boys. Thank you for loving me and accepting this sometimes unfortunate-for-families career.

    ReplyDelete