Tuesday, July 12, 2011

One is NOT the Loneliest number....

Today was perfect. We took your brother to VBS and then played at home. We saw so many people who loved you through the NICU at VBS when we returned at noon to retrieve your brother. We met Daddy at the Deli for lunch and then returned home for a much needed nap.

We played in the afternoon and just enjoyed being a tiny family. You laughed, showing off your new buds of teeth you are finally getting!  You have perfected your own version of the Army crawl and you love to bounce your bottom to any music.  I can tell by watching, you will be crawling in no time. Crawling? He's not crawling yet? Are you worried about it? Someone asked today. "Absolutely not."

I am so relieved that today was perfect. I didn't attempt to plan the day or run around in some high anxiety filled frenzy trying to do something special. I just let you be you and do what you wanted to do, which incidentally involved putting many things in your mouth.  Whatever calm that came over me today, was a divine blessing. I enjoyed you.  You are going to do things on your own time table.

Daddy came home and we dressed you in your brother's shirt from his first birthday. It was big on you but we thought it would make a great tradition. We ate dinner and then Daddy had me bring you in our room to play. Your Daddy cleaned the living room and surprised us by decorating and wrapping a few extra gifts.  He picked up your "one' cake and a couple cupcakes for us. We helped you open your gifts and then gave you cake. Since you are almost the opposite of your brother, we were prepared for you to attack the cake.  You didn't disappoint. Your brother, on his first birthday, wasn't interested in smashing or even eating his cake. I think he even cried when we put icing on his finger!

We stopped you before you got sick, gave you a bath, bottle and snuggle.
Today was perfect because it was normal. No Dr's, no fear, no worries..just love. We return to our weekly appointments tomorrow but for today, we just were Mommy, Baby, Brother and Daddy. I liked that we did low-key. No visitors, just us.
Happy Birthday Whimsy. I know it was your birthday but I feel like I got the gift.

Love you.

(I'll post a different birthday letter later. I just realized the time. I wanted to get this in before the clock struck midnight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment